What’s Up With All The Critters?

This week has definitely gotten off to an interesting start!  Yesterday morning Ellie and I slept in.  Around 9am I turned on the Disney channel, made Ellie some breakfast, and headed into the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee (I’m still constantly thanking Ben for that Mother’s Day present!).  

As I was looking through my basket ‘o k-cups searching for what yummy goodness I wanted to drink something caught the corner of my eye and made me look out the window.  I looked up to see 3 deer, all does, standing merely feet away from the kitchen window munching on the grass.  Now, seeing deer in our yard isn’t out of the norm.  The proximity to the house is.  The patch of grass that runs between the house between the kitchen and the driveway is only about 10 feet wide, and it’s one of the few places in our yard where we don’t spot deer (and other various animal) tracks.  

What startled me even more was the fact the dog never barked at them, and the deer didn’t even seem to notice me only a few feet away on the other side of the glass.  I stood there watching them for a minute before I finally tapped on the glass to get their attention.  Heads shot up, tey looked over, and then finally they took off running.  I wish I’d had my camera nearby because that would’ve been a cool shot to get!

I continued about my morning starting laundry and such while Ellie played quietly in the playroom.  My Papa was doing his typical Monday morning grass cutting and stopped for a few minutes to get a glass of water and to tell me something ate all the corn out of his garden overnight, but it didn’t look like the typical damage from deer.  He went back to cutting grass, and suddenly stopped 10 minutes later.  I opened up the door to find my Papa yelling “Copper’s in the road!  I can’t get him out!”  Copper is one of my sister’s mini horses who reside in the pasture that runs behind both my house and my grandparent’s.  Sure enough Copper was walking down the road on his way back home with a line of cars slowly creeping behind him.  

Unfortunately we’ve had some pretty nasty storms come through the area over the last couple of weeks, and both Ben and my BIL have been working long and exhausting hours out in this super humid heat.  Neither have had time to check the fence line for fallen trees in the last few days, so Copper managed to escape the pasture.  Then the stubborn mini horse refused to get out of the road for Papa.  He even tried to nip at the mirrors on the first car following him!

Getting him out of the road was simple enough for me.  The dang pony loves the kids, so I took Ellie out on the porch, called his name, and he came running.  We wrestled him back in the fence, and got a hold of my BIL to tell him he needs to check the fence asap.  He spent 15 minutes out there, and said he found a spot behind the garden where the fencing was loose, but I don’t think that’s the great escape spot.  Ben’s going to check it when he gets home tonight since we’re both convinced there is a tree on the line in the woods somewhere in the direction from which Copper was coming from.  We closed the horses off in the upper part of the pasture away from the area we think is damaged.  No more escapes or damaged veggies since yesterday!

Well, no more escaping horses at least.  While we were busy getting the horse back in the fence the cat managed to escape out the door.  He’s not allowed outside ever since his run in with the bobtail cat across the street, so it wasn’t too hard to catch him.  I took Ellie to Nana’s so I could catch him without chasing her around too, and I let the cat run around for a few minutes until the heat became too much for the kitteh who sleeps practically 24-7 in front of the AC.  As soon as he found a shady spot to rest I scooped him up and took him inside.

And that’s when the smoke detector in the living room started going off non stop!  The good news is the house wasn’t on fire.  I did a thorough check top to bottom…no smoke…checked the attic, checked the crawl space, nothing.  False alarm.  I changed the battery in the detector, and it went right back to blaring.  I popped the battery out, called my Papa, and he ran to the store for a new detector, installed the new one, put in fresh batteries, hit the test button, nothing.


We have smoke detectors in every room of our 850sq ft house thanks to my overly cautious grandparents, so I finally gave up on the detector issue and let Ben deal with it when he got home.  I went to bed last night praying for an uneventful day today, at least less eventful than yesterday.

This morning I opened my eyes at 8am, set about on our morning routine, and while fixing my cup of coffee looked out the window.  I mentally smacked my own forehead and swore I’d jinxed myself when I looked out the window and saw 2 cows standing in the yard, not ours of course.  The nearest pasture with cows is about 2 miles away, so I had to assume they came from there.  I called my Papa and got him to help me herd the two heifers into our pasture for safekeeping…we didn’t need more animals roaming the roadway today, and spend the rest of the morning tracking down their owner.  


The cows were safely transported home an hour ago, and Ellie settled down for a nap.  That means it’s time for me to shower, relax, and hope I don’t have anymore run ins with critters for the rest of the day!