Our Little Dot

I guess it’s time for been to stock up on the best flavored cigars he can find for cheap because we will definitely have a new little one joining the family in June.  I had my first ultrasound this morning, and so far so good.  We saw “our little dot” on the monitor and discussed my risks with this pregnancy. My LMP puts me at 7 weeks 3 days and the ultrasound dated me at 6 weeks 5 days giving me an ESD of June 20.

I would have preferred to see Dr. Fox, the ob/gyn that delivered Ellie, but I saw Dr. Saulter today.  I know a lot of people who don’t like Dr. Saulter, but I do.  I remember being pretty mad at him when I was stuck in the hospital after having Ellie, but that’s because when the other docs were ready to send me home Dr. Saulter wouldn’t sign off on it.  He made me stay another 2 days until he was certain my bp was stable.  At the time of course I was upset that he wouldn’t let me leave the hospital, but he was being overly cautious and making sure I was ok.  I like a very thorough doctor who may be a little extra cautious.  I’m the chick who over analyses everything, so I think Dr. Saulter and I are going to get along just fine.

I will see Dr. Saulter again for my next appointment in 2 weeks, and then I’ll rotate through all 5 doctor’s in the practice in case I go into labor early and my preferred doctor isn’t around.  Then again if I try for a VBAC none of them will deliver me because they’ll send me to the high risk doctor in Greenville, the only hospital around here that allows VBACs.  If I have a scheduled c section Dr. Fox will be my preferred doctor of choice since he did my first c section, but I have to consider I might not make it full term.

We discussed my preeclampsia risks this go around, and I definitely feel much better now that I’ve had a chance to discuss it with one of my docs.  In the hospital the nurses kept telling me I would most likely have a repeat case if I decided to have another baby.  During my post natal checkup I was told I was at a higher risk of a repeat case of preeclampsia.  Today Dr. Saulter said I have an estimated 15-20% chance of a repeat case since my bp is normal right now.  He’s also added thyroid and potassium panels to my blood work since I have a history of low potassium and a family history of thyroid disease.

I do have to go back in 2 weeks to get the results of my blood work.  I’ll also have a complete checkup then, and as long as my bp stays low I’ll get to stick with a normal checkup schedule for now.  If my bp rises they’ll see me every 2 weeks from then on out. Now I’m going to curl up on the couch under a big blanket and try to thaw out a bit. It was super cold in the office and even colder outside. Ellie is napping, and this tired mama needs a nap, too!