Do you struggle to cook breakfast on busy school mornings? Do you wish you could provide your kids with a warm breakfast, but barely have time for cold cereal?
Our mornings are super hectic now that my oldest is in school. I would love to cook breakfast for her every morning, but between getting her ready for school and battling with a sleepy 2 year old I just don’t have time. I want an option to feed my child something warm and nutritional that will prepare her for the school day ahead, but I don’t have time to stand at the stove cooking all morning. I’m also dealing with a very picky eater who will only eat a handful of breakfast foods, but eggs are her favorite.
When I was given the opportunity to try the Egg-Tastic Ceramic Microwave Egg Cooker I was a bit skeptical that it would actually work. I have mixed feelings about “As Seen On TV” products, and I’ve never had any luck cooking eggs in the microwave.
The Egg-Tastic Ceramic Microwave Egg Cooker is a small ceramic crock that holds up to 4 extra large eggs. Using it is simple. Crack your eggs into the crock, break the yokes, place the lid on the crock and place it in the microwave, and cook for the amount of time listed on the provided cooking time chart.
It really is that simple. If you want to add extra ingredients to make an omelet you add them directly into the crock (with a maximum of 2 eggs), and whisk the ingredients together. You can find additional tips and recipes on eggtastictips.com.
I was pleasantly surprised when I whisked my egg in the crock, microwaved for 59 seconds, and found a ready to eat egg in such a short time. My daughter was super excited that I was able to make eggs so quickly!
If I’m cooking eggs for everyone in my family it seems to take forever. Everyone wants their eggs made different ways, so I have to cook a different batch for each person. With the Egg-Tastic I was able to make 2 servings of eggs for my girls 2 different ways in less than 5 minutes (including prep).
*Note the instructions say you must break the yokes. My oldest doesn’t like her eggs scrambled, so my husband attempted to make eggs without breaking the yoke. We found out the hard way that this will cause pressure to build. The lid blew off, and we’re lucky nothing was damaged! After some trial or error we discovered we can break the yoke and cook it without whisking.*
- Cooks quickly in microwave when you’re short on time.
- Kids love it!
- Easy to make individual servings without dirtying pans.
- Great for dorm rooms where cooking tops are banned but microwaves are allowed.
- Although the instructions say “up to 4 extra large eggs” the lid has blown off every time I’ve tried to cook 3 or 4 large eggs together.
- 4 eggs cook inconsistently. We had to stir the eggs and cook again in 15 sec intervals until all were cooked leaving some overcooked.
- Takes a lot of trial and error to produce eggs with the perfect texture. A few seconds too little equals runny eggs while a few seconds too long equals rubbery eggs.
- The crock gets extremely hot, and you must use oven mitts to remove it from the microwave. There is a silicone topper on the lid that prevents you from burning yourself removing the lid, but you cannot eat the eggs directly from the crock as the instructions suggest.
While I don’t think the Egg-Tastic Ceramic Microwave Egg Cooker can replace eggs and omelets cooked in a pan when you have time to do so, it is a quick way to cook eggs when you’re pressed for time. It makes my kids happy, and I can send my daughter to school knowing she had a nice warm breakfast.
I think it’s a great option for college kids who can’t have a cook top in their dorm room, and I would have used the Egg-Tastic to cook eggs when I was in college. It sure beats trekking across campus to the dining hall for a warm breakfast before class when you want something other than microwaved oatmeal.
The Egg-Tastic Ceramic Microwave Egg Cooker is available from the Egg-Tastic website for $10 + $4.95 P&H. You receive 2 Egg-Tastics and must pay P&H for each separately. The Egg-Tastic is also available on Amazon for $14.99 with free shipping for Prime.